What is everyone working on?

Hmmm… Well, good luck with it anyway. Maybe you could become a visiting professor to give lectures. Way above my world. Again, good luck with it!

Oh, PS: I currently am building a super computer. Only 64 gigs of ram and 4TB drive, but a 18-core i9 that processes 36 threads, a huge GPU video card and is hooked up to my 80TB NAS unit. Setting up a lot of Neural Network software on it to experiment with that. Should be fun. Just a few more cables and will install Windows on it. Can’t wait to see it running! Soon…

Are you doing a headless windows install?

Headless, no, but, I feel that way sometimes! Ha!

I have a ton of legacy apps to install. A ton of old emulators I play with. So, basic old-style install.
Just Windows on a Sata drive. Nothing advanced. It will run 24/7 as I have data scrapers that run nightly.
I wanted the speed for some Neural Network trainers that seem to need a ton of processing power to run
in a timely fashion. They run after updates are scraped from various sites.

Just fired it up for the first time. But, some of the fan wires are messed up. It is on a HUGE Corsair gaming case. ( 680x ) Really big case, but, selected it as it hides all the wiring, so it is a nice display of the inside of the system. Includes tempered glass side panel. It does come with fancy gamer crap like RGB colored flashing fans including the huge CoolerMaster radiator for cooling. I will have the flashers turned off except when showing to buddies. That is nice for just gamers, but, not for me of course.

The Corsair case is a great product, well thought out and lots of great optional things build in. Except as most things these days, the instructions are horrible. It does not even give instruction how to install take parts of the case off to install things. I can not believe that they charge $250 it and then give little or no instructions on it.

Oh, Astonecipher, speaking of “headless”… I do have a Raspberry Pi 3B+ that I am experimenting with that is headless. I use SSH to get into it and run things. At some point, it will have a camera added to it. They are cheap now. I am tested a bunch of Neural Network vision experiments on it. One is a facial identification system. Could be used for a doorbell or whatever. I have another project that I think might be a super application. I need to learn a lot more about training neural networks first. It uses the OpenCV platform which is a fast vision library. Really cool stuff in it. But, it runs on Python which I don’t like. I have a .NET wrapper for it, but, have not got it all working as yet. Fun experimentation stuff going on…

1 Like

Python is just going to call underlying C libraries anyway.

Yes. I wanted to find something that I could create a GUI for a front end. The Python routines do not make that as easy. I did find a nice front-end that is .NET based, but, have not done any testing on it as yet.
I was looking for something that could allow me to adjust the net and weights and re-train the system using a GUI of some sort. But, the only ones I could find were costly. So, plan to create my own…

Non commercial? PyQt
Tkinter just takes getting use to, but I’ve used it a few times.

Got the email that I am on to the next round of the Teaching thing. I took a technical assessment Saturday and they sent the email that it was passed. I don’t know if that should bother me or not, being that I completely tanked one of the questions and for the comment section I added that it isn’t something that I use daily or am even relatively familiar with being that I don’t use it for my day job, I just oversee its usage.

If you are not really interested in the full time position, I guess I would not be worried about it at all.
I am so far out of the collegiate world, I do not know how to comment on that. Most of those types
of assessments are based on that world, not any type of business world. Frame of reference, etc…

I briefly looked at PyQt, but, will have to study it further once I get my new system finished and running.
Having some minor problems with the fan wiring. Hope to finish it soon… I am no longer working, just
experimenting full time… Thanks for the suggestion!

It isn’t a fulltime role, just teaching night classes, specifically FinTech. The biggest issue I see, provided I get past the last gate, is my travel. Last I heard, I was suppose to be traveling the 17th of Feb, class starts the 18th, and I will be gone for two weeks. I don’t know how they’ll feel about that, or if the fact that the company sends me places to do what I do is more grounds that I am in a better position to teach?

I am making a free website for a learning disability group and I am volunteer for them. I want them to have a voice and give awareness. So any help from you guys would be appreciated.

1 Like

Well, when you get a problem, ask away. That is why we are all here.

I personally just built a new super computer. High-end Intel i9 with 256gigs of ram and very huge storage NAS. 34 inch curved monitor for games, huge super-cooled Corsair case with tons of stuff on it. Using it for studying Neural Networks. And, for games, too a bit. Ha!

Curious of the cost on that super computer! I started working on a new desktop for work that will have my 6 monitors, but I priced 128Gb of RAM and it was $1000. Motherboard would be of great interest as well, I am sure you have to be running a server board for the many slots?

No, actually, I went with an Asus-ROG motherboard. A gamer’s board. The gaming mobo’s have a bit better bus speed and memory speed. I have a large video card with a fast GPU. My NAS is mostly for my life’s storage for things like movies, music, tv shows I collect, pictures and tons of programming items. It has 80TB in it.
I think I spent about $4,500 on it total. Maybe more with the monitors and such. I use the 34 inch curved monitor as the main one and have a 32 inch tv for a second monitor. I have another 23 incher but have not hooked it up as yet. No use for it right now.
As far as what I do with it, well, I scrape a lot of sites nightly using a CRON job to acquire data for some of my various projects. Some data is for my NFL rating system, some is for a chatbot learning system I am developing, lots of other things. And, some of this data feeds Neural Networks I am playing with.
One thing I really like is the Corsair ROG case I picked. It is for gamers, but, is huge and has tons of fans in it. Also used a liquid Mastercooler cooling system for the i9. The computer runs 24/7 and it has never got hot at all. So cool, the main fans do power up faster once in awhile when I have tons of things running, but, most of time it is silent. Nice case!
I paid a lot for the cpu because I bought it when it first came out. I wanted a top of the line version. This one has 18 cores and processes 36 threads at the same time. 3D on it is super fast.

1 Like

HA!.. no.
Funny that you asked even… as of last night… I reverted back to the project again (just designed a new PCB for the Arc Reactor, sent out for the blank PCB’s already… and ordered the main parts to assemble/re-flow at home. Repulsors are next… a bit of a challenge here though as they are much smaller… and I think my original approach is too big to fit… and my secondary approach will have a conflict with the SPI lines (conflict with the SD card and the nrf24L01 module that is to be used to communicate with the main HUD circuit (display/arduino/RPi…etc))

I have been sorta working on my other side project (BarBot: automated drink maker)… which for me, had some HUGE hurdles…but for the most part are done (still not 100% happy with my pressurized dispensing system I created…but I supposed it good enough to move forward)

Old video of initial test:

Things got VERY crazy after this point…LOL looking for a custom 2-liter cap that would hold both lines… didnt exist…

So I invented one! I learned Fusion360 to properly 3D model my object… learned how to make MOLDS… and CAST items… so I made roughly 10 of my custom 2-liter caps that could use pnumatic push fittings for the lines/hoses/

Really a great project that bridges:

PHP, MySQL, CSS, HTML, AJAX *(web/full stack)
with electronics/hardware: (servos, stepper motors, relays switches, individually addressable LEDS [ie: neopixels/WS2812’s])

I really enjoy bridging my two favorite worlds together…

Web/Software > Electronics/Hardware… fun stuff!

No videos of the pressurized system in the back, but an old video showing the front (a little bit I guess? lol)

My inspiration video/project:

Wow! That was cool! A lot of work, but, how fun! Sounds like you have been busy! Nice to pull all those things together into one fun project!

Sponsor our Newsletter | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service