Using PHP how can I store a users error login inputs into a text file?

Please note this is not for a client, this is a small test learning test project for myself. I’m aware of the security aspects people are commenting about.

From my current built login script how can I store a users error login inputs into a text file using PHP every time they enter invalid login credentials?

I have a login script which is called login script 2. I was struggling with storing the userserror login inputs into a text file using PHP. From my understanding for the login script 2 for example I should put the coding to store the userserror logs and output them into a text file within this part of my coding shown below, however I’m not sure what code to use. As a result, I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions. If you need a GitHub repository of the whole website, please leave a comment.

//IF the "$query_run" is NOT successful, then run the below
            else {
            }
            ?>

From looking at this https://stackoverflow.com/questions/20435348/create-login-accounts-and-store-them-in-a-text-file-using-php even though my code is different I was trying to apply this to my code, but I couldn’t seem to get the PHP to run. As a result, I assumed I messed up the code. I did try utilizing form the post, but didn’t have any luck getting it to work in my code.

$fp = fopen('accounts.txt', 'a+');
    if(fwrite($fp, $text))  {
        echo 'saved';
    } 

Login script two page code:

<!-- THE FORM -->
<!-- action="index.php" -- This shows where the PHP script that does the processing is located -->
<!-- method="post" -- This aspect  identifies the action that will be performed with the data of the form. For example POST data to the "users" database -->
<form action="index.php" method="post">
    <!-- Form/animation -->
    <div class="inner_container text-center animated bounceInDown">
        <!-- Username section -->
        <label><b>Username:</b></label>
        <input type="text" placeholder="Enter Username:" name="username" required>
        <!-- Password section -->
        <label><b>Password:</b></label>
        <input type="password" placeholder="Enter Password:" name="password" required>
        <input type="hidden" name="login" value="true">
        <!-- The Login button -->
        <button class="login_button" type="submit">Login <i class="fas fa-sign-in-alt"></i></button>
        <!-- The button that is linked to the "register.php" page -->
        <a href="register.php">
            <button type="button" class="register_btn">Register <i class="fas fa-user-plus"></i></button>
        </a>
        <hr>
        <!-- Help -->
        <a href="https://marketinginsidergroup.com/content-marketing/10-types-online-forms-use/">
            <button type="button" class="register_btn">Help <i class="fas fa-question-circle"></i></button>
        </a>
    </div>
</form>
<?php
//Condition, checking the Login button is pressed
if(isset($_POST['login']))
{
    //The data from the Form (username & password) is stored into the @$username & @$passwordVariables
    //You use @ before a VARIABLE in PHP when you do not want to initialise the VARIABLE before using it
    @$username=$_POST['username'];
    @$password=$_POST['password'];

//Statement that will SELECT the data from the "login" table, WHERE the Usename and Password typed match the typed ones
    //Once the database is checked, if login details match than it stores the data in the "$query" VARIABLE
    $query = "SELECT * FROM login WHERE username='$username' and password='$password' ";
    //echo $query;

//This statement performs both the connection to the database using the values in the "$con" VARIABLE and
    //The SELECT statement stored in the "$query" VARIABLE
    $query_run = mysqli_query($con,$query);
    //echo mysql_num_rows($query_run);

//IF the "$query_run" is run successfully, then
    if($query_run) {
        //Check if the Username and Password exist in the database, if they exist
        if(mysqli_num_rows($query_run)>0) {
        $row = mysqli_fetch_array($query_run,MYSQLI_ASSOC);

$_SESSION['username'] = $username; //Username handle aspect
        $_SESSION['password'] = $password; //Password handle aspect

//Sent the user to the "homepage.php" page
        header( "Location: homepage.php");
        }
    }

//IF the "$query_run" is NOT successful, then
    else {
        //Display this message
        echo '<script type="text/javascript">alert("Database Error")</script>';
    }
}

//IF the "$query_run" is NOT successful, then run the below
else {
}
?>
</body>

In relation to the text file and outputting the errors, I was thinking of using the bootstrap 4 table below I created to store them, however I’m not sure if this is possible.

<table class="table table-hover table-dark">
  <thead>
    <tr>
      <th scope="col">#</th>
      <th scope="col">Username which was used</th>
      <th scope="col">Password which was used</th>
    </tr>
  </thead>
  <tbody>
    <tr>
      <th scope="row">1</th>
      <td></td>
      <td></td>
      <td></td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
      <th scope="row">2</th>
      <td></td>
      <td></td>
      <td></td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
      <th scope="row">3</th>
      <td colspan="2"></td>
      <td></td>
    </tr>
  </tbody>
</table>

I find file_put_contents works better when I do logging, personally.

Sponsor our Newsletter | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service