[solved] reading from text file

I’m doing some simple code that doesn’t seem to be performing as expected. I am passing a single variable ‘page’ via the URL. The form is reading it, and looking into a text file. The code is taking each line of the text file and splitting it into 2 pieces, $pageName and $pageURL. I’m trying to set the variable $subject = $pageName if $page matches $pageURL. What is happening is that $subject is being set to the LAST line of the text file, no matter what $page is. I was focusing on the If statement nested within the foreach statement below, but cannot see anything wrong.

Here is the code.

[code]
$page=$_GET[‘page’];
$subject2="";
if (isset($page)){
$arr=file(“files/machines.txt”);
foreach($arr as $str) {
list($pageName,$pageURL)=explode("|",$str);
echo $pageName.", “.$pageURL.”
";

if($pageURL=$page){
			$subject2=$pageName;
		}
}

} [/code]
I know the text file is being read correctly because of the line echo $pageName.", ".$pageURL."<br/>"; I just put that in there to test it and will take it out once things are working. I know the page variable is being passed as well because I can echo that onto the screen.

Here is a sampling of the text file.

RW Cut-To-Length & Insulation Stripping Machine|rw
Coil Spreaders - Coil Formers|cf
Coil Winding Machines|cwm
TTT Tractor Drive Turn Taper|ttm

Any help would be appreciated.

if($pageURL=$page)

that assigns $page to $pageURL and checks the assigned value (a string converted to bool). its always true.

if($pageURL==$page)

compares two values.

when I change that, my subject2 variable doesn’t get assigned. It’s just blank.

thats because file is including the linefeed.
http://php.net/file

use trim
http://php.net/trim

OK So trim tells me that it will take out the line feeds. I changed the subject line to

$subject2=trim($pageName);

but that didn’t seem to help. It’s still blank.??

as the if is causing the problem and as the linefeed is at the end of the line (after $pageURL), i thought i wount have to mention to use trim($pageURL)

if(trim($pageURL)==$page){
             $subject2=$pageName;

that did it. Thanks for the help.

Sponsor our Newsletter | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service