Simple social media Follow/Friend style script suggestion

Hey all!!

Any of you have a recommendation for this particular script? I already have my site set up with login/register and such just want to place this part within my code.

Thank ya :heart:

Are you talking about Friend/Follow on Facebook? Line? Setting your site to link to YOUR Facebook account? Add friend system to your site’s members only? More info please…

1 Like

Adding one to my site members only. No connecting of other sites

So, in this case, you most likely have some sort of chat room, correct? With posts? And, a member list showing somewhere? Correct so far?

Well, you would need to add an icon at the end of each member in the list. One that would change if a member selects it. Then, of course, you would need code to save this selection in your user-table of your members. You can create a table called friends and save them in there. You would need to query that table whenever you show the list of members so that the currently active member can see the ones they are friends with indicated by a different icon.

Often, chatroom’s let you select an icon or avatar for a member to read about his/her personal member info. Some chatroom’s have a button added there to add the member as your friend. This is kept track of by saving the current members user ID and their friend’s ID in the table. So, when the member list is shown, as it displays each member’s avatar, it also adds a “friend” icon based if their ID is in the current user’s friend table. Easy to query that. And, lastly, if a member looks at another members profile, it will show either the make-member-a-friend button or remove-member-as-friend.

It really depends on your site, how it is set up and how you want it all to work. Since you gave us no real info, these idea are just general basic ones. Good luck…

1 Like

Sorry if I was vague but I will definitely use your input

Well, there are hundreds of ways to do this. It really depends on your site’s layout, membership table structures and other things. That is why more info would help. But, you have some ideas how to start.

1 Like

I have a simple login/register
Tbl- id, username, email, password
Layout- dashboard, profile/edit, chatbot,contact form
Each page will have a side nav
Dashboard will have timeline where folks can post via drop-down menus. Right now figuring out how to connect this so it can run properly.

I’ve attached a pic of the dashboard for you to check out

Well, there are hundreds of free chat-room templates available on the internet. Some have very nice handling of all the code involved. There is a lot of security behind the scenes to keep hackers out of your site. Here is a nice tutorial on how to handle the chat-room itself. If you have a little experience, you can place this type of chat code into your chat page. Might help you with some of the ideas on that area.
Chat Room Tutorial And, here is another… chat application tutorial

Here is a free website template that handles the entire chatroom site. It covers everything. Not sure if it contains friends, though. But, it’s free and fairly easy to customize… Blab free chatroom template

Now, why did I cover all that? Well, to help you add friends/follow code to your site, we would need a lot of details about your layout of your site. It is hard to know what to do without knowing a bit more of your site. The user table for a chatroom usually has a lot more than your id, username, email and password. If you really want to create your own, we can help with that, too. On your image, it does not show the chat area. I suppose in that area you have a list of members online, probably on the right-side. It would show all the currently online members. If you click on a member, it would show more info and have a button in their profile for you to make them your friend. Most chat rooms, such as Blab, allow you to upload or select an avatar. This avatar is shown on each post and in their profile display. Somehow, you would have to have a button in that to let your members “friend” the other. Of course, you have to decide if you want it two way or not, if the other one has to okay it meaning give permission for them to be followed, etc. Lots to think about…

1 Like

Lots and lots to think about but this is a step in the right direction . Thank ya so very much❤️

Sponsor our Newsletter | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service