selecting random data from db - other methods

Hello,

Need to get random data from db but order by rand() is too slow. i have tried other methods but i can’t make them work properly

i found simple solution :

SELECT * FROM table WHERE id >= (SELECT FLOOR( MAX(id) * RAND()) FROM table ) ORDER BY id LIMIT 1;

or this :

$offset_result = mysql_query( ” SELECT FLOOR(RAND() * COUNT(*)) AS offset FROM table “);
$offset_row = mysql_fetch_object( $offset_result );
$offset = $offset_row->offset;
$result = mysql_query( ” SELECT * FROM table LIMIT $offset, 1 ” );

i can’t make it work with this script:

//$_SESSION['sess_data']['usrid']=3;

//$_SESSION['useridtest']=3;

$criteria="(select category_id from user_category where user_id=" .$_SESSION['sess_data']['usrid'].") ";

$query = "select distinctrow s.id,s.name,s.`desc`,s.url from site s,site_category sc where s.usrid!=" .$_SESSION['sess_data']['usrid'] . " and  s.state='Enabled'";
$query.=" and s.id=sc.siteid and sc.category in $criteria ";
if ($_SESSION['sess_data']['negact'] == 0) {$query = $query . " and  credits>=1";}
$query = $query . " and  ((cth < cph) or (cph=0))";
$query = $query . " order by rand() limit 8";
//echo $query;

//overided query
//$query="select id, url from site";
$res = mysql_query($query);

echo("");
//echo $query."<br>";
//echo "number of rows= ".mysql_num_rows($res1);
//echo "number of rows1= ".mysql_numrows($res1);
echo("
<br><table width="700" border=0 align=center cellpadding=5 cellspacing=15 bordercolor="">");
$col=2;

if(mysql_numrows($res)==1){$rows=1;}
//if(mysql_numrows($res)==3){$rows=2;}
//if(mysql_numrows($res)==5){$rows=3;}

continue...........

i tried this –

$query = "select distinctrow s.id,s.name,s.`desc`,s.url from site s,site_category sc where s.usrid!=" .$_SESSION['sess_data']['usrid'] . " and  s.state='Enabled' and WHERE s.id >= (SELECT FLOOR(MAX(id) * RAND()) ";

this doesn’t work like this, right?

Thank you very much

Your last query will fail because you’re using the ‘WHERE’ clause twice ;) If it reflects what you want, then your random number is simply a value in your query, right? Can’t you just run the random query first (or even just run a query and let PHP’s rand() do the job) and then insert that value into the next query?

oh that “where” was just my forum quick example mistake, i have tried like this and more:

$query = "select distinctrow s.id,s.name,s.`desc`,s.url from site s,site_category sc where s.usrid!=" .$_SESSION['sess_data']['usrid'] . " and  s.state='Enabled' and s.id >= (SELECT FLOOR(MAX(id) * RAND())";

and this:

$query = "select distinctrow s.id,s.name,s.`desc`,s.url from site s,site_category sc where s.usrid!=" .$_SESSION['sess_data']['usrid'] . " and   s.state='Enabled'  and s.id >= (SELECT FLOOR( MAX(id) * RAND()) FROM `site` ) ORDER BY id LIMIT 8";

and this;

$query = "select distinctrow s.id,s.name,s.`desc`,s.url from site s,site_category sc where s.id >= (SELECT FLOOR( MAX(id) * RAND()) FROM `site` ) ORDER BY s.id LIMIT 8 and s.usrid!=" .$_SESSION['sess_data']['usrid'] . " and   s.state='Enabled'";

and this:

$query = "select distinctrow s.id,s.name,s.`desc`,s.url from site s,site_category sc where s.usrid!=" .$_SESSION['sess_data']['usrid'] . " and  s.state='Enabled'";
$query.=" and s.id=sc.siteid and sc.category in $criteria ";
if ($_SESSION['sess_data']['negact'] == 0) {$query = $query . " and  credits>=1";}
$query = $query . " and  ((cth < cph) or (cph=0))";
$query = $query . " and s.id >= (SELECT FLOOR( MAX(id) * RAND()) FROM `site` ) ORDER BY id LIMIT 8";
//echo $query;

can you please write an example, how you think it should be. I really need good working example

Thank you

Found Solution that works: (added this)

$res = mysql_query($query);
//select random
$res = mysql_query("SELECT *
FROM site
WHERE id >= FLOOR( RAND( ) * (
SELECT MAX( id )
FROM site ) )
ORDER BY id ASC
LIMIT 8");

But this doesn’t get right results at all

What you’re doing in all those queries is not extracting random rows from your database. You’re extracting all rows with an ID that’s above a certain random value. In your first query of your first post however, you use ‘LIMIT 1’. What exactly are you expecting back? One row, or a random number of rows? And if a number of rows, then should they be randomly picked, or somehow bound to a match (as used in your WHERE clause)?

yep I know that did not work.

thank you

I got the right code somehow to make faster because order rand() is slow.

faster way, this is what I needed(solution):

$query = "select distinctrow s.id,s.name,s.`desc`,s.url from site s,site_category sc where s.usrid!=" .$_SESSION['sess_data']['usrid'] . " and s.state='Enabled'"; $query.=" and s.id=sc.siteid and sc.category in $criteria "; if ($_SESSION['sess_data']['negact'] == 0) {$query = $query . " and credits>=0";} $query = $query . " and ((cth < cph) or (cph=0))"; $query = $query . " and s.id >= (SELECT floor( RAND() * ((SELECT MAX(id) FROM `site`)-(SELECT MIN(id) FROM `site`)) + (SELECT MIN(id) FROM `site`))) ORDER BY id LIMIT 8";

thank you again

Sponsor our Newsletter | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service