Questions to ask to set up php server

Hi,
I am working with a Sql server database. My boss asked me to to create a website that create reports for end users based on this data. I need to tell my boss the requirements of the system.Now my questions are:
1- what kind of server do we need? Linux? Windows? What other specification should I consider?
2- if the database should stay on its current server, how do I connect these 2 servers?
3- Does not it matter that I am using php with ms sql server? Shouldn’t it be mysql only?
4-what if the database should remain in our internal server? Can I still connect it to a public web server?
5- what software should I ask to be installed on the server?
Thanks

1- what kind of server do we need? Linux? Windows? What other specification should I consider?

Any

2- if the database should stay on its current server, how do I connect these 2 servers?

API

3- Does not it matter that I am using php with ms sql server? Shouldn’t it be mysql only?

PDO can handle the connection just fine, just need the sql server driver

4-what if the database should remain in our internal server? Can I still connect it to a public web server?

Depends on firewall rules. Though it may be better to at least have a synced database

5- what software should I ask to be installed on the server?

Not sure how specific you want this answered.

I am probably the last person who should give any guidance on this, but based on a course I took last year I can tell you that a very common set up is a “LAMP stack”. Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP

Thanks. But why do I need to have MySql when I will be using SQL Server?

Sponsor our Newsletter | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service