Question about One to Many Form Data

I have a MySQL table with the following format:
Task_ID
Op_ID
Op_Desc
Each task can have up to 6 Operations,

I have used the following code to select the Op_Descs (ordered by Op_ID), and can get the form to display the Operations.

<!DOCTYPE html>
  <?php
    require 'conn.php';
  $id = 1; /* In live situation this would be picked up from $_SESSION */
  $used = 0;
  $desc = array();
  $original = array();

if ($used == 0) {
      $query = $conn->query("SELECT `desc` FROM `test` WHERE id = 1 ORDER BY `subid`") or die(mysqli_error($conn));
    while ($row = mysqli_fetch_array($query)) {
        echo $row['desc'];
        echo "<br />";
        $desc[] = $row['desc'];
        /* $original will be used to see if data has changed for saving back to MySQL table */
        $original[] = $row['desc'];
    }
    $used = 1;
}
?>
<html>
  <head>
    <meta charset="UTF-8">
    <title></title>
  </head>
  <body>
    <form class="form-horizontal" value = "POST" action="#">
        <input id="one" name="one" value="<?php echo $desc[0] ?>" type="text">
        <input id="two" name="two" value="<?php echo $desc[1] ?>" type="text">
        <input id="three" name="three" value="<?php echo $desc[2] ?>" type="text">
        <input id="four" name="four" value="<?php echo $desc[3] ?>" type="text">
        <input id="five" name="five" value="<?php echo $desc[4] ?>" type="text">
        <input id="six" name="six" value="<?php echo $desc[5] ?>" type="text">
        <input type="submit" value="submit">
      </form>
  </body>
.</html>

I have tried to use an if (isset($_POST…) construct to check the form output against the $original array elements, so only need to update those that have changed.

However I haven’t been able to get this to work, and am wondering if anyone can point me in the correct direction?

No you didnt. The code is ordered by subid which is not a field you listed. How about telling us what the real problem is you are trying to solve instead of asking about your attempted solution to the real problem.

Sorry me bad -

Typed in the code rather than copying and pasting.

Should have read:

"SELECT `desc` FROM `test` WHERE task_id =  '$id' ORDER BY `sub_id`"

Basically, as said above (sorry if it isn’t clear), the form displays the data taken from the table ok, but I cannot get to save it back to the table after clicking the submit button.

What I want to do is only update fields where the data has changed, which is why I want to compare the submitted form items with the original table data in the $original array.

This is my first foray into PHP and this is converting an old DOS (Clipper) program

Okay, I think I understand now. You don’t need to do a comparison. Just do the update. The database will only update the changes

Thanks - didn’t realise it would only update when needed (difference from thge old desktop database the Clipper program was using).

However am I doing the form correctly (using the $dsec array)? and I can’t seem to get the values back to PHP when doing an if (isset($_POST…) construct.

Thanks

What do you mean “back to Php”? You need to post your code. We cant see your screen.

Sponsor our Newsletter | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service