Please check my script!

Hello Guys,

I wrote this PHP script which validates the from and addes the data to the database.
I used CSS to display error messages and highlight the from if no data or incorrect data is entered.
Can someone please check and let me know if its correct and is there anything i should change??

Please let me know
Thanks
Karen G.

[php]

my php form
<body>

<?php

// DATABASE CONNECTION
$user = "root";
$pass = 12345;
$database ="a_database";
$server ="localhost";

if( !mysql_connect($server, $user, $pass) || !mysql_select_db($database)){
	die(mysql_error());

}

// FORM VALIDATION

if(isset($_POST['submit'])){
		if(empty($_POST['food'])){
			//echo"<p style='text-align:center; color:red;'>please enter food name</p>";
			echo"<style type=\"text/css\"> 
			.changeFood input{
				border:1px solid red;
				}
				p.changeFood:after{
				padding-left:10px;
				color:red;
				content:\"please enter food name\";
				}

</style>";
		}

if(empty($_POST['calories'])){
			//echo"<p style='text-align:center; color:red;'>please enter calories</p>";
			.changeCal input{
				}
				p.changeCal:after{
				content:\"please enter calories. \";
				}

</style>";
		}else if(isset($_POST['calories']) && !ctype_digit($_POST['calories']) ){
				//echo"<p style='text-align:center; color:red;'>CALORIES field must contain numbers only </p>";
			.changeCal2 input{
				}
				p.changeCal2:after{
				content:\"CALORIES field must contain numbers only\";
				}

</style>";
		}

if(empty($_POST['h_u'])){
			//echo"<p style='text-align:center; color:red;'>please enter (H) if the food is healty and (U) if it is unhealthy</p>";

.changeHeal input{
				}
				p.changeHeal:after{
				content:\"please enter (H) if the food is healty and (U) if it is unhealthy\";
				}

</style>";
		}
	}

$displayForm = true;	// SET DISPLAYFORM TO TRUE - TO HIDE THE FORM 

// IF EVERYTHING OK THEN ADD DATA TO THE DATABASE AND SHOW THANK YOU MESSAGE 
	if( !empty($_POST['food']) && !empty($_POST['calories']) && !empty($_POST['h_u']) && ctype_digit($_POST['calories'])){

mysql_query("INSERT INTO food(food, calories, h_u) 
								   VALUES('$_POST[food]', '$_POST[calories]', '$_POST[h_u]')")
			or die(mysql_error());

echo"<p style='text-align:center; color:green;'>Thank you. Your data has been added</p>";

// HIDE THE FORM IF DATA HAS BEEN ADDED TO THE DATABASE

$displayForm = false;
	}

if( $displayForm){

?>
	<center><form action="" method="post">
	<p class="changeFood">food:<input type="text" name="food"		   value="<?php echo @htmlspecialchars($_POST["food"]);?>"></p>
	<p  class="changeCal changeCal2">Calories:<input type="text" name="calories" value="<?php echo @htmlspecialchars($_POST["calories"]);?>"></p>
	<p class="changeHeal">Healthy_H-U:<input type="text" name="h_u" value="<?php echo @htmlspecialchars($_POST["h_u"]); ?>"></p>
	<input type="submit" name="submit" value="Add">
	</form></center>

<?php

}
	?>

</body>

[/php]

Have you tried to run it? I can’t see any errors directly or by putting it in netbeans. The only way you’ll know is testing it.

Hi RaythXC

thank you for replying :), Yes I did test it, i did not get any errors. I was hopeing to get some kind of advice from advanced programers, how to improve this script???

1. For example i am using <style type=“text/css”> inside the body tag which i think it is not allowed. I think i should place the script inside the head tag.
    what do you thinkg??

2. should i create variables for $_POST[‘calories’], $_POST[‘food’] and $_POST[‘h_u’]?? but when i do i get (Notice: Undefined index…) but when i click on the add botton the erros disappears.

1. Yes those tags should be in the head tags.

2. you shouldn’t need to create any $_POST variables. assuming there is form info with the names inside the [‘name’] on the page being passed to it, those variables will be made.

Id prob put the css at the head and by the look of it correct me if im wrong but the css all styles the output in the same way would you not just have .errorstyle and initiate it once in the head and just refer to it later in the document rather than creating more styles with the same value?

I’d probably format the code like something below:

[php]

my php form .inputError{ border:1px solid red; } .submitSuccess{ text-align:center; color:green; } .submitError{ text-align:center; color:red; } <?php // DATABASE CONNECTION $user = "root"; $pass = 12345; $database ="a_database"; $server ="localhost"; if ( !mysql_connect($server, $user, $pass) || !mysql_select_db($database)) { die(mysql_error()); } // FORM VALIDATION $displayForm = true; if (isset($_POST['submit'])) { if (empty($_POST['food'])) { echo"

please enter food name

"; } if (empty($_POST['calories'])) { echo"

please enter calories

"; } else if (isset($_POST['calories']) && !ctype_digit($_POST['calories']) ) { echo"

CALORIES field must contain numbers only

"; } if (empty($_POST['h_u'])) { echo"

please enter (H) if the food is healty and (U) if it is unhealthy

"; }
		if ( !empty($_POST['food']) && !empty($_POST['calories']) && !empty($_POST['h_u']) && ctype_digit($_POST['calories']))
		{							
			mysql_query("INSERT INTO food(food, calories, h_u) VALUES('$_POST[food]', '$_POST[calories]', '$_POST[h_u]')") or die(mysql_error());							
			echo"<p class='submitSuccess'>Thank you. Your data has been added</p>";												
			// HIDE THE FORM IF DATA HAS BEEN ADDED TO THE DATABASE								
			$displayForm = false;		
		}
	}				

// SET DISPLAYFORM TO TRUE - TO HIDE THE FORM 		
	// IF EVERYTHING OK THEN ADD DATA TO THE DATABASE AND SHOW THANK YOU MESSAGE 		

if ( $displayForm)
	{				
?>		
<center>
	<form action="" method="post">		
		<p class="changeFood">food:<input type="text" <?php if (empty($_POST['food'])){ echo 'class="inputError"'} ?> name="food" value="<?php echo @htmlspecialchars($_POST["food"]);?>"></p>		
		<p  class="changeCal changeCal2">Calories:<input type="text" <?php if (!empty($_POST['calories']) && ctype_digit($_POST['calories'])){ echo 'class="inputError"'} ?> name="calories" value="<?php echo @htmlspecialchars($_POST["calories"]);?>"></p>		
		<p class="changeHeal">Healthy_H-U:<input type="text" <?php if (empty($_POST['h_u'])) { echo 'class="inputError"'} ?> name="h_u" value="<?php echo @htmlspecialchars($_POST["h_u"]); ?>"></p>		
		<input type="submit" name="submit" value="Add">		
	</form>
</center>		
<?php		
	}		
?>	
</body>
[/php]
Sponsor our Newsletter | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service