PHP - Return results in html editable area.

Ok, I’m working on a website in Dreamweaver CS4. I made a simple email form with spry validation and a simple PHP code to handle the form and send me an email when the user hits the submit button. Everyhting is working great, except one thing.
I have a template for the site and there are 2 editable areas, as defined by the Dreamweaver template. The script I’m using will direct the user to a new page that has a “Thank you for submitting” message after submitting the form. What I’m trying to do is have the message show up on the same page. I want editable area that the form is in to just change to the “Thank you” message, instead of redirecting to a separate page.

Here is the script I’m using (learned from a tutorial at Tutvid)
[php]<?php

/* Subject and Email variables */

$emailSubject = 'Contact Form Response';
$webMaster = '[email protected]';    /* <---My email address goes here */

/* Gather Data variables */

$nameField = $_POST['name'];
$emailField = $_POST['email'];
$questionField = $_POST['question'];

$body = <<<EOD

Name: $nameField

Email: $emailField

EOD;
$headers = "From: $emailField\r\n";
$headers .= "Content-type: text/html\r\n";
$success = mail($webMaster, $emailSubject, $body, $headers);

/* Results rendered as HTML */

$theResults = <<<EOD

Thank you for submitting.

We will get back to you as soon as possible.

EOD; echo "$theResults";

?>[/php]

You can see that at the end of the script it displays a message in html format, but it’s opening a new html page. What I want is for the form to disappear and the message to take it’s place, without going to a new page. I was thinking an echo may be the way to do it, but I’m an extreme newbie ??? when it comes to PHP.

I would appreciate any help you might have for me.
Thanks!

copy the HTML for the form page and put it where I have indicated in the script below. Or you can keep the form in a separate script and put an include(); there instead. hope that helps.

[php]

<?php //isset checks to see if there is POST data for name if(isset($_POST['name'])) { /* Subject and Email variables */ $emailSubject = 'Contact Form Response'; $webMaster = '[email protected]'; /* <---My email address goes here */ /* Gather Data variables */ $nameField = $_POST['name']; $emailField = $_POST['email']; $questionField = $_POST['question']; $body = <<<EOD

Name: $nameField
Email: $emailField
EOD; $headers = "From: $emailField\r\n"; $headers .= "Content-type: text/html\r\n"; $success = mail($webMaster, $emailSubject, $body, $headers); /* Results rendered as HTML */ $theResults = <<<EOD

Thank you for submitting.

We will get back to you as soon as possible.

EOD; echo "$theResults"; } else { //put the form here } ?>

[/php]

Sponsor our Newsletter | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service