PHP first class exiting php code early

Hi im new to php and trying to write my first class (im experienced with c++ so im fine with classes) but upon making my first class i started using the pointer reference command “->” for example myClass->printStuff(); but this wouldnt work (ill show all my code below) so i tried a direct copy off of php.net’s simple example and the same issue occured.

i have managed to find the cause but i have searched and searched and cant find anything even remotely about this problem let alone how to fix it.

my code:
[php]<?php

class tester {
	private $testingSomething;

function __construct($testing)
	{
		echo $testing;
		$testingSomething = $testing;
	}

public function PrintIt()
	{
		echo "something true";
	}
}

$thing = new tester("Something");

$thing->PrintIt();

?>
[/php]
Result:" PrintIt(); ?> "

php.net’s code: (also didnt work)
[php]

<?php class A { function foo() { if (isset($this)) { echo '$this is defined ('; echo get_class($this); echo ")\n"; } else { echo "\$this is not defined.\n"; } } } class B { function bar() { // Note: the next line will issue a warning if E_STRICT is enabled. A::foo(); } } $a = new A(); $a->foo(); // Note: the next line will issue a warning if E_STRICT is enabled. A::foo(); $b = new B(); $b->bar(); // Note: the next line will issue a warning if E_STRICT is enabled. B::bar(); ?>

[/php]
Result: " foo(); // Note: the next line will issue a warning if E_STRICT is enabled. A::foo(); $b = new B(); $b->bar(); // Note: the next line will issue a warning if E_STRICT is enabled. B::bar(); ?> "

I can tell the issue is when using “->” its treating the “>” symbol as a php code escape but its not one. i tried the obvious but silly idea of doing “->” instead but it didnt work. im guessing this is a php settings issue on my web server but being new to php i don’t have a clue were to look and what setting this might be called.

sorry if this is a simple “newbie” question that should be obvious but i honestly couldn’t find any references to this problem after searching every terminology i could think of to describe the problem.

my web server runs php 5.2.14 and is pre-installed on my nas(QNAP 509 pro latest firmware) im not sure i can update it myself (im pretty sure i cant)

Thanks in advanced for any help

Well, I’m not very good at classes, but, you can do a

$thing = new tester(“Something”);

You didn’t set it up that way. So $thing=new tester(); is correct.

You could do

$thing->PrintIt(“Something”); but, you didn’t set that up that way either…

Look at the samples at this link… (the posted samples)
http://php.net/manual/en/language.oop5.basic.php

Good luck…

Sponsor our Newsletter | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service