Other Languages?

Hi all,

I have been working on learning as many languages as I can and was wondering what other languages you all have learned and consider yourselves at least decent at?

PHP was my first language I learned then I learned HTML 4.01 Transitional, CSS and other mark up languages. I have been able to build anything I’ve needed in Jquery with limited research.

I am currently starting from where I feel I should have started in the very beginning and going through and learning the C lineage. Which will include C, C++, The Concepts of Objective-C, Java, and C#. I am hoping that this will not only allow me to create some amazing things but will make me a better web developer by understanding lower level languages and build up my skill base working my way up to pure Object Oriented Languages.

So what other languages have you all learned or tinkered with? Do you think that having an understanding of other languages is important to becoming a strong developer no matter what it is your developing in the end?

Thanks for reading,
Valandor

I’m a VB.Net Developer I consider myself pretty good at it, I build the website unlocktheinbox.com and all the functionality with it from scratch.

I good with HTML, CSS and Databases (Oracle, MySQL, SQL Server)

I have a basic understanding of javascript and php. I wish I knew PHP better, I’m getting some good experience and learning it better trying to help people on this forum for better or worse.

Being good with Databases I think is a must for web development today. I often times help my brother with MySQL syntax for his work. He only does tech support right now, but the support team manages the support ticket system.

I’ve never really seen VB syntax and have seen very limited .net. If I remember correctly .net is more of a framework you’re able to hook into with many different languages, VB probably being the most common for web development.

I have seen how much you’re helping with code in the forums here and I think you’ve gotten a lot of things down with PHP. I wish more people would answer questions as it doesn’t only help the person asking the question, but a major part of development is being able to read code and helping others helps build a strong foundation for this important skill.

Do you have any good resources to start learning VB? As of right now I’m using Wibit.net to learn the C lineage and I enjoy their teaching style.

It’s all about the framework, the language is interchangeable.

They have converters that will translate it back and forth with little to no problems.

converter.telerik.com is the one I use.

I started with VB 4 and just progressed from their, never really had any study material and just learned everything from the internet. Just decided to sit down and write a checkbook application one day in VB, started out simple and then got very advanced. I almost had it mass marketed in stores. I had contracts signed and everything and then the sales reps for the company nixed it cause they though it will be hard to convince retail stores to add another checkbook program to the shelves along side microsoft money and quickbooks. This was back in 1996.

I use a lot of online resources to learn any laguage. Reshearch truly is key to keep your self at a level where what you’re doing is reliable and relevant. Major reasons for me learning c c++ etc is so I can extend my knowledge on different concepts as a whole. Tho I’d like to eventually build an API, just so I can say I did it.

A project I’m going to be working on once I get into c++ and above is working with database structures, which isn’t thought in the tutorials I’m learning from.

Tho I think learning how to correcrly create and parse databases is a major key to any development process today, no matyer if it’s a flat database (somerhing like xml) or something like mysql.

I’ll be tooling around the forums as much as possible tho things this weekend seem pretty busy so hopefully I’ll be able to jump on and help a few people out, if I can.

I’m typing this on my phone so forgive me for any weird spelling or grammatical errors.

I always wanted to learn C++, I did take a class in it, in my early college years. Back then it seemed to complicated and I lost interest in it. It’s one of the most powerful languages. It seems, if you want to focus on web programming. PHP or .NET, HTML, CSS, jQuery, Javascript, MySQL is all you really need to know to do almost anything.

Good decision and advice buddy. I will agree with you.

As of right now I’m not certain I will be sticking with web development or move into windows application development. C++ is a powerful language and I would like to play with it a lot more than I have but recently haven’t found much time as I’m starting a business designing leather clothing (mainly top hats and such) to try and help me afford to go to school for a computer science degree.

I look at scripting/programming as a concept. It’s a series of logical statements that simply define it’s overall output in the end. I had a lot of trouble with understanding object orientation since I wrote procedural code for so long and really had a hard time finding relevant learning material for PHP. I think that by going through the C++ tutorials I’ve been able to so far, has helped me understand the concepts and gotten me into the mindset that I need to be in to create robust and reusable code. This will ultimately be important no matter which language I work in or what the end result of that program will be.

As a side note if this any of this seems mixed up or incomplete I apologize. I’m very tired at the moment and I’m unable to keep a thought in my head long enough to type it out.

Sponsor our Newsletter | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service