Not sure where to start

Hi all, I have an idea for a system that could help the education charity that I work for but I’m not sure where to start - any pointers would be great.

The system I would like to develop is as follows:

• Learner requires a profile login.

• Tutor requires a login.

• Tutor can add a learner with their start date and end date inputted and choice of course.

• Tutor needs to edit a grid of 30 text boxes - and enter a number between 1 and 3. 3 would mean that element is completed.

• The system would work out progress (and also how far through a course they are in regards to time).

• Learner can login and view progress at any time.

As long as I have ideas about how I can build the bones of the system, I can hopefully polish it up with graphs etc.

A long shot but any help is massively appreciated.

Thanks

S.

Do you have any development experience? If so we need to know how much so we can point you to the next step.

If not; you have plenty to learn before you start on something like this. Codeacademy has a PHP course that will probably get you a long way, and you’ll need some HTML and JS experience to build the front end.

A quicker way to get where you want might be to play around with google sheets to build a spreadsheet that will do the work. It won’t be perfect but it might be enough to get you started. Once you have a solid idea of what you want the system to do, you could then look at paying someone to do the work for you.

1 Like

“Learner requires a profile login.”

• Whats the difference between a login and a ‘profile login’?

“Tutor requires a login.”

• Whats the difference between a ‘learner’ login and a ‘tutor’ login?

“Tutor needs to edit a grid of 30 text boxes - and enter a number between 1 and 3. 3 would mean that element is completed”

• Seems like a normal ‘form submission’ behavior here to me…

Start there… outline your needs… the differences… and then start building as such.

After the fact you can you work on the last 2 open items…

1 Like

You would have single login system (your statement implies two different ones.) Your login system authenticates who the logged in user is, by storing only their user id in a session variable. You would then query on each page request to get any other user related data, such as the user’s display name, user permissions, learners picked/assigned to a tutor, course progress for a learner, …

You would also need a role based user permission system, that controls what a logged in user can do and see on any page. You would need roles for - administrators, tutors, learners, and guests/non-assigned users. The installation script would allow for the creation of a master administrator, who can then assign/remove administrator and tutor roles to/from other registered users.

1 Like

https://moodle.org/

Why roll your own when something exists that is meant for this? Do you have a need that isn’t met by an open source LMS?

2 Likes
Sponsor our Newsletter | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service