MySQL Results - selection Query

I have a php form that gets the first input field results from a mysql database query. The query works fine and the results display in a dropdown box where the end user can select the correct answer from the list.

I want to make this selection choice a mandatory field in the php form how can I go about doing this?

I tried this format which I used for other fields but it didn’t appear to work:

<input type=“Date” name=“start” id=“date”; ?, required="" placeholder=“date”
oninvalid=“this.setCustomValidity(‘Please Enter valid date’)”
oninput=“setCustomValidity(’’)”>

Any help would be appreciated.

After some further research I have found that the issue maybe due to the top result automatically being selected in the drop down list.

One of the easiest ways is to add a first option that has a blank value. Something loosely like this:

<select name="dropdown1">
    <option value="">You must enter this value!</option>
    <option value="option 1">Option 1</option>
    <option value="option 2">Option 2</option>
</select>

Then once they press the submit button, you can check if the drop-down’s value is empty or not.
If empty, throw out an error alert to tell them they did not select whatever…

Hope that makes sense!

Thanks for your suggestion.

I already have this set-up in place. Which gets the list from the database.

<?php $res=mysqli_query($con,"SELECT van FROM van"); while ($row=mysqli_fetch_array($res)) { unset($van); $van = $row['van']; echo ''.$van.''; ?>

This displays the list okay but is there a way to make the selection a mandatory one or make it so it displays the first result but this not able to be selected as an option?

Well, I just told you how to do that. Just load the data from the database, but add a first option that forces them to change it to the one they want.

Sponsor our Newsletter | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service