Memory Issues...

Ok,
I am know this is going to seem pretty stupid considering I have been building computers for several years now, but whatever…
I was just wondering the differance between server memory and desktop memory. Why one won’t work with the other??

FYI: Both are Corsair Brand.

I currently have purchased a 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM ECC Registered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Server Stick.
I wanted to add in a second stick and purchased - 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Desktop Memory Model VS1GB400C3.

When both sticks are in place, the comptuer will boot up and just sits. It won’t even fire up the video card. I have tried all combinations of the 2. But only works when either one is placed in the machine alone.

Just was seeing if anyone had any insight as to why this may be happening not so much a solution as just an answer to why.

Well, I’m not some memory guru or anything, but I seem to remember that Registered memory is quite special, and requires specific hardware (i.e. motherboard)? I can see how reg. and nonreg. memory would ‘bite’ each other.

For the love of GOOGLE!! :slight_smile:

Ouch. Going for price only isn’t the smartest thing (I’d probably end up trying to jam an Athlon into an 775 socket :P) But yea, define: is divine :stuck_out_tongue:

Sponsor our Newsletter | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service