Linux to Windows move

I am moving a webapp from a linux box to a windows box and things have been going well but I have hit a pretty big snag and don’t know how to proceed. Currently my pages load and I am able to see things like they should present. However, my submenu navigation and forms will not load correctly. Any link that goes this way “orders.php?action=verifyInfo” will not load. The address bar changes but the page itself does not change.

My question is whether this is a configuration issue for the server, or if code needs to be altered now that it is on a windows box as compared to a linux box.

I can provide any additional information but any help would be great!

Thanks!

chilis3,

Could you provide a link to your site? It’s hard to diagnose a problem like this without seeing it. The first thing that comes to mind is .htaccess problems, though.

-boobay

The site is an internal only site so I can’t open it up to the outside. I realize this presents much more of a challenge for assistance but I am hoping there is at least some course of action I could be pointed down to find out what is causing this problem. Everything works perfect on the linux machine but does not work perfect on the windows machine.

Okay, that’s fine.

As far as I know, PHP is pretty cross-platform independent meaning you can easily move from one platform to the next. For example, I do all of my web development on a local ubuntu linux box, then move it to my desktop (windows) for software testing. Are you displaying all errors/warnings? Are you using static folder locations(ie. /var/www/yoursite/src)?

-boobay

Here is the closest I can get to providing you some accurate information on what I have narrowed the problem down to:

A. I can enter the address http://xxxxxxx/orders/orders.php and get to the proper location. From there, I click on a submenu for orders and that takes me to this link: http://xxxxxxx/orders/orders.php?action=verifyInfo. The page does no alter from the original address in appearance, but the address bar updates to the new address.

B. I alter the original code below by removing any of the case ‘identifiers’ it will load that section. So, I know the code works, but it doesn’t seem to recognice the case ‘xxx’ information at all .

switch ( $action ) {
case ‘verifyInfo’:
$user -> verifyRequestorInfo ( $userInfo[‘ID’] );
break;

case 'chooseRecipient':
	if ( !isset ( $_REQUEST['orderNumber'] ) ) $_REQUEST['orderNumber'] = null;
	echo "<span class="sectionHeader">Request Information</span>n";
	echo "<div class="infoWindow" name="recipientInfo">n";
	$order -> renderRequestorInfo ( $userInfo );
	echo "</div><!-- end requestorInfo DIV -->n";
	echo "<form action="orders.php" method="post" name="chooseRecipient" onSubmit="return validateRecipient();">n";
	$order -> chooseRecipient ( $userInfo, $_REQUEST['orderNumber'] );
	$order -> backNextPage ( "orders.php?action=verifyInfo", "orders.php?action=chooseOrderForm", "next -->" );
	if ( isset ( $_REQUEST['orderNumber'] ) ) {
		echo "<input type="hidden" name="orderNumber" value="".$_REQUEST['orderNumber']."">n";
		echo "<input type="hidden" name="statusID" value="1">n";
	}
	echo "</form>n";
	break;

Okay.

Quick question, do you have this (code segment below) defined anywhere before your switch statement? Previous version of PHP supported calling POST/GET elements by a variable name (ie orders.php?action=xxx), but as far as I know that has been deprecated.

$action = $_GET['action'];

Man, I can’t tell you how much that simple question turned out to be. I added that comment into the code and it fixed the problem. I am able to get even further along now. There are still things to be worked out, but this made a huge push to the next level!! Thanks much.

And short story, I didn’t write this, have no PHP or webapp experience, but it has been my job to move it to it’s new server with very little assistance in the matter. So I may be back with what turns out to be very simple questions and resolutions.

Thanks again!!!

chilis3,

Seems like you’re doing a great job. Keep up the good work. We’ll be around, if you have any other questions.

-boobay

Consider ALTERING

to

if (isset($_GET['action'])) {
}

or

$action = !empty($_GET['action']) ? $_GET['action'] : 'DefaultValue';

Where DefaultValue is some value that $action should be just in case no value is provided.

Both of those methods will stop an error (or actually a NOTICE) for an undefined index when the page is called and their is no value assigned to $_GET[‘action’]

Sponsor our Newsletter | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service