Job Question my dream job

Hello,

I need advice, I found a job that is looking for an entry level PHP developer. Boy would I kill someone to land this job. I love programming a lot, but all the programming I have done has been self taught. Granted I have a Bachelors in Information Technology at Suny ALbany, but I learned nothing at all. I spent most of time chasing girls and playing video games what a Waste.

Fast forward it to now, I have spent a lot of time programming and looking to someone break in. I found this job right near my house:
Mountain Media is one of the Capital Region’s top Web Development Firms. We provide a full-stack of services including, hosting, web design, e-commerce, internet marketing, and e-payment services.

We are looking for an entry or junior level developer to increase the firms work capacity. This is an on-site position in our Saratoga Springs office, 40 hours a week, M-F. As Joel Spolsky says, this person should be “smart and get things done”. PHP/Mysql would be beneficial but is not required. If you are a good learner you can pick up 90% of the skills needed within a few months (The remaining 10% will take years). Some things we will look for are an interest in software development and/or general “Tech” stuff outside of work or school. Have you ever built a computer? Do you run a web server? What is your OS of choice? Why do you enjoy programming? You don’t need to live and breath code, but an interest is important.

Responsibilities:
Maintain current e-commerce, blogging, and e-payment platforms. This includes bug fixes, database changes, and additional feature requests.
Develop New Software using a Software Specification.
Communicate with management/clients to accomplish goals in a timely manner.

Technologies We Use… If most of these words are foreign to you, you may want to get some more experience first.
Lamp, (Linux, Apache, Mysql, PHP)
HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Jquery
Coldfusion, SQL Server, IIS
SVN, Git
Phpunit
FreeBSD

Salary: 40 - 45K

Benefits:
Health, Dental, Holiday, Vacation and Sick Time, Free breakfast on Friday.
Check out our Facebook page there should be some pictures of past meals.

Requirements:
4 year bachelor degree or 2 years on the job experience.
Demonstrated Experience in PHP a plus, but can work with anyone that is proficient in a c-like language (C, C++, Java).
Mysql database knowledge is a plus.

I don’t think my skills warrant 40-45k a year, but I wouldn’t mind trying to get an internship or am I shooting myself in the foot. I think I could get stuff done as I have built some PHP projects on my own and have done some Java. I have never worked at a professional level and I am really intimidated. I have the background experience as far as the degree is concerned and I spent a lot of my time programming. I was thinking of sending them a cover-letter and saying that I am looking to become an intern and work my way up like that. This way it doesn’t cost the company anything. Of course, I would have to do this part-time,as I am a full time network technician and need to pay my bills.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Apply for the job and tell them you want at least 48k.

Don’t worry about your skill level, if you got drive and determination you’ll succeed. Some companies are so relaxed that they give you plenty of time to learn on the job.

And help people out on this forum it’s good real world experience :slight_smile:

You can always say you’re a respected member oh phphelp.com, a forum dedicated to helping people learn PHP.

Sponsor our Newsletter | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service