In Over My Head

I was hired into a position and promised that it was truly a junior developer position - and it is much more of a full developer position. I inherited an overly complicated CRM and I’m completely over my head with the changes that I’m being asked to do. But, since I’m already here, I’m throwing myself in head first, hoping to be able to brute force my way through things.

I have a lot of experience with HTML, CSS, responsive design, etc - just trying to make the move over to developer too. Any help or if someone who lives in the SLC area wants to be my mentor/buddy, that’s fine too.

Rachel

Just go through tutorials you find on-line. Try to understand them and don’t give up.

Yeah, unfortunately - it is a bit beyond the tutorials. sigh

Rachel

A lot of people at my company get hired as a developer because the passed a Certification, but never coded a day in their lives. After a year or two they become decent developers.

It just takes time. My company always have the new hires doing minor bug fixes at first to get their feet wet.

It’s not going to happen overnight, but as long as the company works with you, you’ll be up to speed.

I know all about being in over your head. I got hired on to redo a registration / login system for a company and ended up completely redoing the entire website because the last person who did it thought it would be funny to lay the entire thing out as nested tables. Now I have to figure out jquery because the guy we hired is doing everything in that language. But, I’m learning it as I go.

If you can’t do it with what’s there, then redo it in whatever language suits you (as long as the results are the same and whatever you redo it is compatible with what’s there already).

Before you do major overhaul s, check above you. They may not appreciate your initiative.

Sponsor our Newsletter | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service