HTML + PHP + MySQL

Hi guys,
I need help with a PHP algorithm. I am interested in the best way to do this.

I have this situation, I need to get this at the end:

In database I have 3 tables (data from first column are one table, data from second column are second table, and third column third table). And they are connected with foreign key parent_id (second table) to id (first table) and parent_id (third table to id on second table).

So to sum up, the data from the first table (column) is the main one in the hierarchy, and it can be the parent of multiple of them in the second. And the data in the second table can be the parent of several of them in the third.

And that’s all well arranged, but I can’t get a printout like the one in the picture.

If some data from first column have multiple childs we need to add extra row in HTML table, but if we have multiple child in third column we dont need extra row, just need to print them one below the other in same table row and same

IMPORTANT: Please note that these are search results.So it is possible to search from the database by keyword from the name column from all 3 tables from the database. So the user types a word into the search engine and gets this from the image as a result. How can I perform that query according to the database and get this HTML printout based on it. (You can ignore the column and row names and write your own).

Thanks.
Regards

To achieve the desired output, as shown in the image, where you have hierarchical data from three related tables, you will need to perform a series of SQL queries that join these tables based on their relationships. Then, you will have to loop through the results to construct an HTML table with the correct formatting.

Here’s a simplified approach to how you can do this in PHP, assuming you have the following table structure:

• libraries (first column data)
  • collections (second column data)
  • sub_collections (third column data)

And each table has an id and parent_id column to establish the hierarchy, along with a name column.

Firstly, let’s create the SQL query. I will write a pseudo-SQL because the actual query may vary based on your exact database schema:

SELECT l.id as library_id, l.name as library_name,
       c.id as collection_id, c.name as collection_name,
       sc.id as sub_collection_id, sc.name as sub_collection_name
FROM libraries l
LEFT JOIN collections c ON l.id = c.parent_id
LEFT JOIN sub_collections sc ON c.id = sc.parent_id
WHERE l.name LIKE :search OR c.name LIKE :search OR sc.name LIKE :search
ORDER BY l.name, c.name, sc.name;

You would replace :search with the user’s search term, using a parameterized query to prevent SQL injection.

Next, you will need to execute this query and process the results in PHP. Here’s a basic structure for how you might loop through the results and build the HTML table:

// Assuming $results is the result set from the SQL query
$html = '<table>';
$currentLibraryId = null;
$currentCollectionId = null;

foreach ($results as $row) {
    // Check if we're still within the same library
    if ($currentLibraryId != $row['library_id']) {
        $currentLibraryId = $row['library_id'];
        $currentCollectionId = null; // Reset the current collection ID

$html .= '<tr>';
        $html .= '<td>' . htmlspecialchars($row['library_name']) . '</td>';
        $html .= '<td>' . htmlspecialchars($row['collection_name']) . '</td>';
        $html .= '<td>' . htmlspecialchars($row['sub_collection_name']) . '</td>';
        $html .= '</tr>';
    } else {
        // Check if we're still within the same collection
        if ($currentCollectionId != $row['collection_id']) {
            $currentCollectionId = $row['collection_id'];

$html .= '<tr>';
            $html .= '<td></td>'; // Library name is the same, so leave this cell empty
            $html .= '<td>' . htmlspecialchars($row['collection_name']) . '</td>';
            $html .= '</tr>';
        } else {
            // We're still within the same collection, so just the sub-collection changes
            $html .= '<tr>';
            $html .= '<td></td>'; // Library and Collection names are the same, so leave these cells empty
            $html .= '<td></td>';
            $html .= '</tr>';
        }
    }
}

$html .= '</table>';

echo $html;

This script will create a new row each time the library or collection changes. If only the sub-collection changes, it will add the sub-collection to the same row.

Please note that this is a very basic example and assumes that $results is an array of results from the database with the structure indicated in the SQL query. Depending on your actual database structure and the libraries you use (e.g., PDO, mysqli), the actual PHP code may vary.

Lastly, for the search functionality, you would need to handle user input, sanitize it to prevent SQL injection, and pass it to the SQL query in place of :search. Make sure to use prepared statements for this to ensure the security of your application.

This approach also assumes that the ORDER BY clause in the SQL query will correctly sort the libraries, collections, and sub-collections in the desired hierarchical order. If the actual data is more complex, you might need to adjust the SQL query or the PHP processing accordingly.

wow thank you very much.

and well done on the translation of the table/column names :slight_smile:

Sponsor our Newsletter | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service