High school diplomas are not enough

Fellows seems like this is a god place for discussion. In now a days the job market is acquiring the person with good experience either it is about the educational or practical. High school diplomas was thought to be good. If you want to get a good job then you will have study further more as the high school is always considered as immature. A recent study has shown that about 75% of the companies requires persons more then high school diplomas. any more words are welcome.

It really depends on the place, some places will only accept applicants with a college degree! But, if I was an employer I would test the individual skill and thought process. I can care less about getting a degree from a school. Most of the times schools are behind several years and the skills learned aren’t as valuable since they are not current.

I have a Bachelors, but I can tell you one thing my bachelors from 20 years ago, doesn’t apply today, but companies still consider it for some reason, even-though it’s old and everything I learned in school is obsolete.

Being self taught - started PHP around 96 when it hit the shelves after getting bored with plain old HTML as it was back then. I now work as a freelancer, doesn’t make me rich but it pays the bills. (most of the time :slight_smile: )

I know already, should it ever get to a point where I need to employ someone, I don’t care how many letters they have after their name, it’s what they can do in half an hour with me standing there watching, they pass, their hired, simple!

I’d also prefer a self taught programmer, to give them a break in the industry.
I know i have been turned away from many job interviews because “I wasn’t qualified” - the tough part was knowing i could do the job - and probably a lot quicker than most of the other applicants, I just wasn’t given an opportunity to prove it…

Red :slight_smile:

College Degrees in IT are worthless
Certification in IT are worthless (hello testking)

It’s just like you said… Everyone needs to be Vetted

I don't care how many letters they have after their name, it's what they can do in half an hour with me standing there watching, they pass, their hired, simple
- Well said.
Sponsor our Newsletter | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service