Hi, All!

Hello, Everyone!

Let me start off by saying I have no PHP experience at all. My name is Craig. I had a website created back in 2009 that I owned and maintained until 2014 when I lost my job. Since then, the guy who did the hosting (and created the module I use for my site) has retired and gone black and someone bought and is squatting on my domain. After laughing at his request for $150 to regain ownership, I got the closest thing I could to the original (now .net instead of .com (www.blackenedtrading.net) for my bootleg audio and video trading site and got new hosting. After getting help to fix a bunch of things, I now have a Bootlegs page on my site where 1/2 the .png image files I’ve loaded aren’t showing and I’ve been told to look for a cache-clearing script to add to the php to fix the problem.

Which is why I’m here. Other than looking around at the various php files in my file manager, I know nothing about php. I think I’ve found something that could potentially help (maybe) but I don’t know where to put it. I’m hoping by checking out the site and looking at what’s already been posted, I might find a way to remedy my problem. This all seems a bit intimidating. But, I’m hoping after looking around a bit I might be a bit more comfortable with php.

Cheers!

Craig

Craig,

I don’t see anything wrong with your bootleg page all the images are loading fine for me. If it was me I would of paid the $150, it’s a small price to get the domain you want.

I also looked up your story in the wayback machine, it checks out. :slight_smile:

(Look for example #2 in this link)
http://php.net/manual/en/function.header.php

[php]<?php
header(“Cache-Control: no-cache, must-revalidate”); // HTTP/1.1
header(“Expires: Sat, 26 Jul 1997 05:00:00 GMT”); // Date in the past
?>[/php]

Yeah, the $150 probably is a small price to pay. However, I couldn’t justify giving this dude anything for a domain he wasn’t doing anything with and didn’t care about. His attitude from the beginning of my correspondence with him sucked - “I’m always happy to listen to offers”. So, now, he can have fun with his domain that nobody wants.

As far as the code goes, thanks! Much appreciated. The only thing I’m not sure of is which PHP file to which that gets added. Should that be going into the “init.inc.php” file or a different one? Sorry for what are probably super-basic questions. Like I said, I know nothing of this stuff. Thanks again!

Craig,

It’s hard to say, I don’t know how your code is layed structured or designed. You should just add it, test it, and see if it works.

I was curious on how your site got taken over. I ran a who-is on the site and found the info on the new owner.
So, I guess you forgot to renew it, right? And, someone just grabbed up the name. For $25 you can have
Godaddy.com place you on the auction list for that domain. How that works is people buy up domain names
when they expire and hope to make $$$ on the poor owners when they try to get back to their sites. After a
certain amount of time, the domain name goes up for auction.

I guess that is it a good idea to set up your domain name hoster to automatically renew it.

So, I looked at your site and all of the images loaded just fine on my system. Perhaps you should try to view
it under a different browser. It might just be having issues with one browser. Which did you test it on?

I did the same thing. Some dude in MD.

Truth be told, I lost my job and my hobby (and its site) took a back back seat, like third row. I was just getting settled in my new job when the hosting ran out. A month later, my ownership expired (unbeknownst to me) and he bought my site. If the site had any kind of wide exposure, I probably would’ve paid the guy. But, it’s a small trading community I run with. So, getting .net to take the place of the old .com took little more than 20 minutes in MS Paint to change the site’s skin. There’s a little sentimentality there. Not enough to give some random guy my hard-earned money for nothing, though. I think his ownership expires in June or July if I remember correctly. I thought about waiting around for it. But, it’s easier to simply move on.

As for what browser I’ve tried… Safari on my Mac, iPad and iPhone, as well as Firefox and Chrome on my laptop and work PC. It’s the same on all of them. The logos load up until the R’s. Then, they look like something’s definitely messed up with them.

That’s a sad story! He probably has 1000 sites he registered for $3 and hopes to sell 100 at $150 to make a
profit. Hate people like that!

In my Windows 8 system (Set up like Windows 7) using Firefox browser, it shows all of them without any issues.
All the way down to Zappa! Hmmm? So, I tried it on my IE browser, too and it works just fine there also!

I know there are some issues on iPhones and iPads due to a lot of issues like memory, screen size, etc. But,
the others should work. It is odd that it gives you troubles on a Mac AND a PC.

Okay, so Firefox does not work on your PC, but, it does on my PC. Which Windows is on the PC and which
version of Firefox are you using. We should rule out version issues first. My PC is Win8 with FF41.0.2 and
your site shows all icons… I have a lot of memory on it, too. Not sure if that is an issue. Have you tried the
site on a friends or neighbors system to see if it is just yours? On the PC, have you cleared cookies and temp
files lately? (Like running disk cleanup and defrag) Lots of possible issues since it works on my two systems
and worked on Topcoder’s system too.

Well, good luck…

I’m running Windows 7 on both PC’s. It’s actually IE 11.0 and Google Chrome I’m running on the work PC. I have to check the Firefox version tonight when I get home. I haven’t tried clearing cookies and temp files lately. I’ll give that a shot. Haven’t tried someone else’s yet. I should try my wife’s laptop tonight, too. I asked a guy I know from St. Petersburg, Russia to check. And, it works fine for him, too. Hmmm.

I just hope that, for however many sites he’s bought up, there are that many people willing to not pay him. Give him the big FU.

I hear you on that guy! Sucks to have people doing that to you especially when you don’t have the extra $$$.

On your issue. I do remember I had trouble displaying someones site once and cleared my local system up and it then worked. So, It might be just that. For that friend’s site, it was a cookie issue. Let us know once you get home and test it and on the wife’s system, too… IE11 and Win7 is a good combo and should work just fine for that page!

Hmmmm, interestingly enough, I just retried it and it loaded almost instantly. Much faster than last night! So, I bet it is a local caching issue on your system. So, it must be your system. Online, it says to do this to clear
you cache:
1.Open Internet Explorer.
2.From the Tools menu choose Internet Options. …
3.On the General tab, under Browsing history, click Delete.
4.Un-check the Preserve Favorites website data box.
5.Check the Temporary Internet files, Cookies, and History boxes.

BUT, you could try just clearing the browser cache for your site only. This will allow you to save all of your data and cache for other sites in case you have a lot of saved cookies for passwords, etc. To do that, you can use the F12 option and use the DEVELOPER’s panel instead. Here is a link that explains and just scroll down to the F12 area and use that option: https://kb.wisc.edu/page.php?id=15141

Sponsor our Newsletter | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service