Help needed for these errors

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/southtxm/public_html/login.php:5) in /home/southtxm/public_html/includes/sessions.php on line 254

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/southtxm/public_html/login.php:5) in /home/southtxm/public_html/includes/functions.php on line 941

I really have no clue as to what I am doing I created a forum so that local metal detectors could meet and share treasure hunting. http://www.southtxmetaldetectors.com I am in way over my head with this. I was trying to add just a simple banner and it did not work so I took it off and then this happened and you get the above error when you try to log in.

here is part of the html I was in at the time I only added the banner html at the very top of the page and then I deleted it after I saw it was not what I wanted. Can someone please help me out and tell me what I did and how to fix it. Also if there is someone out there that would like to take on this little project of mine or at least explain a few basic things to me about how this stuff works I would appreciate it and maybe could work out a deal. Again I have no clue as to what I am doing and never had heard of cpanel or html before this so that should tell you how clueless I really am. Thanks

<?php /*************************************************************************** * login.php * ------------------- * begin : Saturday, Feb 13, 2001 * copyright : (C) 2001 The phpBB Group * email : [email protected] * * $Id: login.php,v 1.47.2.25 2006/12/16 13:11:24 acydburn Exp $ * * ***************************************************************************/ /*************************************************************************** * * This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify * it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by * the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or * (at your option) any later version. * ***************************************************************************/ // // Allow people to reach login page if // board is shut down // define("IN_LOGIN", true); define('IN_PHPBB', true); $phpbb_root_path = './'; include($phpbb_root_path . 'extension.inc'); include($phpbb_root_path . 'common.'.$phpEx);

Download a new copy of the phpBB2 software (which is a dated version, by the way) to a location other than your installed folder on the webserver.

Copy the login.php file from your download up to your webserver.

If this doesn’t resolve the “LOGIN” issue, then it’s NOT in the login.php and something else must have been changed.

In the future a good place to put the Banner is in the overall_header.tpl (or overall_footer.tpl) files which are in your tepmplate area under your particular style (Default = subSilver)

Also the code you gave is essentially useless for troubleshooting. Most of it is comments. None the less what you have presented (codewise) is exactly as the file should be.

Going forward, any modifications should be done ONLY after a back up is made. It’s a good Idea to copy the files you are going to modify to a safe location prior to modifying them that way if there is a problem, it’s a quick fix. I actually prefer to copy the entire folder prior to the mod but that’s me.

Hope this helps.

thanks so much i will give it a try

it was simple I just had to delete a couple blank spaces that were before <p?php

told you I know nada about this lol

That makes sense… Because login.php calls sessions, and all sessions must be sent before any html output is sent AND PHP parses anything outside the <?php ?> brackets as HTML, when it sees blank spaces before the <?php it sends blank spaces to the browser and then assumes that you are done sending HEADER details (which is where sessions go).

Sorry if that’s too techy for you. My main goal here is to try and clarify for someone else who might find this in a search and have a similar problem.

Glad you got it fixed.

Sponsor our Newsletter | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service