Greetings From a Total Novice

Hello.

I’ve done a little bit of HTML/CSS in the past, but never pursued it much beyond creating a simple homepage full of links to websites I frequently visit. I was happy with it when I made it and never thought much about doing anything else with programming.

Recently, however, I have gotten it into my head that it may be possible to finish one of the greatest projects I have ever attempted, and to do so with web-based languages. I’ve chosen to go this way with it because the project will need to be accessible by web eventually anyway, so I figured I might as well build it for its purpose from the beginning.

The problem is that I don’t have much experience with PHP, MySQL, JavaScript or some of the other languages at work in many modern web pages. I hope to be able to learn more here than what my random stumbling in search engines has been able to bring to light. I am intrigued by the possibilities, but frustrated by the lack of information about my specific needs.

Thanks for reading.

Trance,

It just takes time, stick with it…

Thanks, Topcoder.

I’m trying to be patient, but it’s a lot to learn. At last count, to be able to do what I want to do, I expect I will need PHP, MySQL, HTML, CSS and JavaScript, not to mention learning database management. If there were any other way, I’d be happy to try another option. Since most programming languages I know of (Visual Basic, etc) are up into the thousands, this is basically my last hope.

I’ve been searching through the forums a bit, but haven’t seen my specific question answered yet. I’ll give it a while and post something up into a subforum I feel is appropriate to the topic.

Thanks again.

Sponsor our Newsletter | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service