Funky MySQL Error

Good morning,
I am having some rather strange issue with an SQL update syntax command.

The syntax of the SQL query seems correct but this is the error I see when running my script:

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'desc='test', img='faces0004.jpg', base_price=0.00, is_displayed=0, type_id=1 whe' at line 1

As I look through the code and examine my query I don’t see any apparent issue. I have printed the query to the browser:

update catalog set category_id='015', style_num='test3221', desc='test', img='faces0004.jpg', base_price='0.00', is_displayed='0', type_id='1' where style_num='test3'

All of my variables are being passed properly through the POST collection. My code also looks correct:

ini_set('error_reporting', E_ALL);
  ini_set('display_errors', 1);
  $category_id = $_POST['category'];
  $snum = $_POST['style_num'];
  $oldstyle = $_POST['oldstyle'];
  $base_price = $_POST['base_price'];
  $type_id = $_POST['item_type'];
  $is_displayed = $_POST['rgDisplay'];
  $img = $_FILES['img']['name'];
  $oldimg = $_POST['oldimg'];
  $desc = $_POST['desc'];
  if ($img == '')
  {
    $imgfile = $oldimg;
  } else
  {
    $imgfile = $img;
  }

if (($category_id != '') && ($snum != '') && ($base_price != '') && ($type_id !=
    '') && ($is_displayed != '') && ($desc != ''))
  {

$query = "update catalog set category_id='$category_id', style_num='$snum', desc='$desc', img='$imgfile', base_price='$base_price', is_displayed='$is_displayed', type_id='$type_id' where style_num='$oldstyle'";
    echo $query . '<br />';
    $res = mysql_query($query) or die('Error: ' . mysql_error());
    echo $res;

The database table looks fine (to me) as well:

CREATE TABLE `catalog` (
  `item_id` int(8) unsigned zerofill NOT NULL auto_increment,
  `category_id` int(3) unsigned zerofill NOT NULL default '010',
  `style_num` varchar(15) NOT NULL default '',
  `desc` varchar(120) NOT NULL default '',
  `img` varchar(20) NOT NULL default 'notAvail.jpg',
  `base_price` float(5,2) NOT NULL default '0.00',
  `is_displayed` int(1) NOT NULL default '0',
  `type_id` int(4) NOT NULL default '0',
  PRIMARY KEY  (`item_id`)
) ENGINE=MyISAM AUTO_INCREMENT=15 DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1;

Whenever I have these sorts of problems I usually find an error in syntax but alas I am not seeing it. Also, I was using a snapshot of PHP6 along side of PHP 5.2.4 and have attempted to run the script on both versions of PHP with the same result (I thought it may have been a change I overlooked in the PHP6 change log). Also, it usually works to just go to bed and re-examine the code in the morning and then call yourself an idiot for not seeing the problem. This time I wasn’t given the opportunity to insult myself.

Any help “spotting the looney” would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

I guess this requires a little knowledge/experience on the subject:

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'desc='test', img='faces0004.jpg', base_price=0.00, is_displayed=0, type_id=1 whe' at line 1

‘desc’ is a MySQL keyword :wink: Try renaming the field to something else and see if it works then.

Sponsor our Newsletter | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service