Form textarea not parsing variables typed in

I have a form parsing variables to another page, but it’s not working as expected. The textarea in the form is not parsing variables typed in directly. Take a look at the code and help me figure this out. Thanks.
Form:

[code]<!doctype html>

Enter Names

Names:

1:

2:

3:

This is just a test.
Thanks . $name . for taking the test.

[/code]

PHP Code:
[php]<?php
if(isset($_POST[‘submit’])){
$name1=$_POST[‘name1’];
$name2=$_POST[‘name2’];
$name3=$_POST[‘name3’];
$message = $_POST[‘message’];

$recipients = array(
“$name1”,
“$name2”,
“$name3”,
);

foreach ($recipients as $name) {
//echo $name . “

”;

echo $message . "<p>";

}

echo “

CLICK HERE TO GO BACK”;
}
?>
[/php]

The output should display the variable $name typed in the textarea, but it does not. However, when I type in the message in the code directly it works. It never works as a form post from the textarea.
Please help.
Thanks.

When you see this, $name1, it shows something are going badly. You should never have to name variables like that, that is what an array is for.

[php][/php]

I would imagine what the message prints is exactly,

“Hello . $name …
This is just a test.

Thanks . $name . for taking the test.”

If you are trying to replace the $name in the message with one of the variables passed in, use string replace

Hi,
My kind opinion:
If you just need that output to have a border drawn around then just do it in CSS.
(Because the textarea is similar to text input - its content is grabbed by $_POST upon clicking ,submit,.You still can ,echo, the stuff you need into it.)

As Astonicipher pointed out - it indeed displays the message within that textarea because it was in fact hardcoded by yourself.

See the attached - it was done by echoing the $_POST in to fieldset (not sure if it is ok to use this tag for such purpose but it looks ok).

phphelp.png

Thanks for your kind response. My major issue is that if the message in $post for the message from the textarea always appears as is. The $name variable never picks the names from the $post for name fields, even after parsing it into an array, If I remove the textarea field in the form and code the message into the php code directly everything works. There must be something I’m doing terribly wrong. Please help a beginner. If I can see some modified code to use in fixing this I will be very grateful.
Thanks.

My reply stated what to do…

Thanks for the insight you gave. I’m still splitting hairs over this. I’ve changed much of the form to use arrays now and it still submits fine. Thanks for that; I didn’t know this before now. However, when you look at the edited code now it works fine when I code the message direct and comment out the textarea in the form and its corresponding code in the php side. Like so:

Form:

[code]<!doctype html>

Enter Names

Names:

1:

2:

3:

[/code]

And the php side so:
PHP Code:
[php]<?php
if(isset($_POST[‘submit’])){
//$name1=$_POST[‘name1’];
//$name2=$_POST[‘name2’];
$names=$_POST[‘name’];

/$recipients = array(
“$name1”,
“$name2”,
“$name3”,
);
/

foreach ($names as $name) {
//echo $name . “

”;
$message = “Hello $name.
This is just a test.

Thanks $name for taking the test.”;

echo $message . "<p>";

}

echo “

CLICK HERE TO GO BACK”;
}
?>
[/php]

Everything works fine and the variables display the names entered in the form. Please help me make this work when I enter the message from the form textarea instead of hardcoding the message.
Thanks again.

All the data from the form are strings, no matter what the strings look like, so, the $name variable in the message isn’t php code, it’s just the characters $, n, a, m, and e, inside the string.

While you can cause a string to be executed as php code, this is extremely dangerous, since any php code that gets put into the string will be executed on the server. Using this on a live/public server will allow a hacker to take over your web site.

The safe way of doing this to treat the message string as a ‘template’ with ‘tags’ in it that will get replaced by the value. Use a tag syntax that won’t normally exist as text, such as {tag_name}. Your example message will become - Hello {name}.
This is just a test.
Thanks {name} for taking the test.

Once you do this, you can use str_replace() to replace the tag with the actual value.