External Files

I’m not sure where I should post this question or even if it is a PHP problem, please stay with me on this. I’m a designer and have inherited the responsibilities of the server and web site at the commercial photography company I work for (due to the financial environment).

The site written in PHP is hosted on our server here. The web address points to a folder on this sever:

./var/www

However the images our photographers take and which are displayed to our customers through the website are stored elsewhere on the same server, outside the path of the domain name.

./mount/photography/photographer/customerID/fileName.jpg

I don’t understand how these images are visible in the website, when they are stored outside the domain path. I had a friend who works installing servers take a quick look and he said there was something pointing to the mount directory in the server set-up, however he thought it could be done in PHP also.

I’m sure I’m clear as mud, I don’t understand this myself at all. Can I do this with PHP or does it need to be done in the server set-up? Can you help me or tell me where to start looking?

Regards,
Andrew.

I am no expert, but I work in a Unix environment, and we link directories together using the standand unix symbolic links (google it). I think you can find them by using the find command

Sponsor our Newsletter | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service