Error: Call to undefined method stdClass::language() (0)

Hi, lately my forum (using Invision Power Suite, running on PHP version 7.4.26) keeps having this log appear behind the scenes, indicating a php error of some kind:

Error: Call to undefined method stdClass::language() (0)
#0 /home//public_html/forums/system/Dispatcher/Front.php(713): IPS\Dispatcher_Standard::baseJs()
#1 /home/
/public_html/forums/init.php(902) : eval()'d code(16): IPS\Dispatcher_Front::baseJs()
#2 /home//public_html/forums/system/Dispatcher/Front.php(82): IPS\Dispatcher\bimchatbox_hook_includeJSandCSS::baseJs()
#3 /home/
/public_html/forums/system/Dispatcher/Dispatcher.php(110): IPS\Dispatcher_Front->init()
#4 /home//public_html/forums/index.php(13): IPS_Dispatcher::i()
#5 {main}
#0 /home/
/public_html/forums/init.php(1004): IPS_Log::log()
#1 [internal function]: IPS\IPS::exceptionHandler()
#2 {main}

The log keeps calling to a “language” function in one of our third party add-ons, a chatbox. The problem is, “language” is not anywhere in the app’s file at all. We looked and it is nowhere to be found in that specific file, so we have no idea why it keeps trying to call to it. It’s possible there’s an obscure leftover code somewhere else but we wouldn’t know where to look. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the associated plugin, but that didn’t stop it either. I also tried asking the maker of the add-on but they were unable to reproduce the issue. IPS themselves say this is a problem with our server setup.

I’ve been told that call to undefined method stdClass::language() is typically a connection error with our mySQL database and to check the connection in conf_global.php, but I’m not sure what exactly that means or where to look. Any concise and clear further help would be very much appreciated as we’re not professional coders at all and I’m getting really annoyed with seeing these logs.

Does this actually prevent anything on the web site from working?

The code is expecting a language method to exist as part of the add-on. It would be nice to know from the add-on authors if their code should or does have this method. Perhaps, they didn’t provide an expected, perhaps unknown to them, feature?

Does this web site use or care about different visitor languages, i.e. does it use and only support a single language, such as English? If so, there may be an administrative setting or value in a configuration file that could be turned off/set to false/removed concerning language support, that would then stop the code from trying to call the missing language method.

No, this doesn’t prevent anything on the website from working. At worst maybe sometimes a brief “technical error has occurred” notice will appear but it immediately fixes itself. The only reason I even know that error is related is because of the logs.

According to the add-on authors, their plugin used to have the “language” function but doesn’t have it anymore in the newest versions, which we are using. It’s strange, it’s possible something in our code seems to think think this function still exists. When I reached out to the add-on authors, they’ve said they’ve been unable to reproduce this issue sadly. It’s possible this is an issue related to our server and out of their hands.

We only have a default English pack installed, no other language. Since it’s a default pack, IPS has it locked so I don’t think I can edit much for it, but I’ll see what we can dig deeper into the server files.

If it helps any in identifying any potential configuration problems, or any values we should adjust, here’s a link to how our php is setup (sorry for formatting had to remove sensitive information):

Sponsor our Newsletter | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service