echo commands not working properly

There must be something wrong with my PHP, because no matter how much I code the echoes never work properly. I even looked at the php manual and copied the sample code for the echo statement, here is the code:

<?php echo "Hello World";

echo “This spans
multiple lines. The newlines will be
output as well”;

echo “This spansnmultiple lines. The newlines will benoutput as well.”;

echo “Escaping characters is done “Like this”.”;

// You can use variables inside of an echo statement
$foo = “foobar”;
$bar = “barbaz”;

echo “foo is $foo”; // foo is foobar

// You can also use arrays
$baz = array(“value” => “foo”);

echo “this is {$baz[‘value’]} !”; // this is foo !

// Using single quotes will print the variable name, not the value
echo ‘foo is $foo’; // foo is $foo

// If you are not using any other characters, you can just echo variables
echo $foo; // foobar
echo $foo,$bar; // foobarbarbaz

// Some people prefer passing multiple parameters to echo over concatenation.
echo 'This ', 'string ', 'was ', 'made ', ‘with multiple parameters.’, chr(10);
echo 'This ’ . 'string ’ . 'was ’ . 'made ’ . ‘with concatenation.’ . “n”;

echo <<<END
This uses the “here document” syntax to output
multiple lines with $variable interpolation. Note
that the here document terminator must appear on a
line with just a semicolon. no extra whitespace!
END;

// Because echo does not behave like a function, the following code is invalid.
($some_var) ? echo ‘true’ : echo ‘false’;

// However, the following examples will work:
($some_var) ? print ‘true’ : print ‘false’; // print is also a construct, but
// it behaves like a function, so
// it may be used in this context.
echo $some_var ? ‘true’: ‘false’; // changing the statement around
?>

Since I copied this straight from the php web site it can’t be wrong, but just like any other code I’ve done this is what shows in my browser:

"foo"); echo "this is {$baz['value']} !"; // this is foo ! // Using single quotes will print the variable name, not the value echo 'foo is $foo'; // foo is $foo // If you are not using any other characters, you can just echo variables echo $foo; // foobar echo $foo,$bar; // foobarbarbaz // Some people prefer passing multiple parameters to echo over concatenation. echo 'This ', 'string ', 'was ', 'made ', 'with multiple parameters.', chr(10); echo 'This ' . 'string ' . 'was ' . 'made ' . 'with concatenation.' . "n"; echo <<

Can someone please tell me what the problem is? This is enough to drive me insane.

Oh, and if it helps, I’m using WAMPserver.

Thanks.

PHP is not installed correctly, or the page is not saved as somephpfile.php

I’m willing to bet you can find the rest of your code if you do View Source on your page :wink:

What Acecool says is true: your file is not being preprocessed by the PHP engine, probably because it is not recognized by the webserver software.

I saved the file as test.php, and the code I showed you is the only code that is in the file, so I don’t quite understand what you mean?

And if PHP is not installed correctly, how do I do it? Because when I installed WAMP, it was installed with that, right?

Create a test file called phpinfo.php

In the file put only the following:

<?php phpinfo(); ?>

Then navigate to it using your browser. If you don’t see a LOT of info then your PHP Preprocessor is either not running, not configured properly, or some other issue preventing the webserver from processing PHP files.

Given what you have stated already, that is almost exactly what the problem is. I am not sure about what WAMP does when it installs, perhaps you should look at the installation logs and see if there was a problem.

I just tried that and opened it in Firefox and I saw a blank page, so I tried opening it in IE and it’s asking me to open or save the file. I will look at the installation logs but I really don’t know what to do so if anyone has any suggestions, please help! Thanks.

In the WAMP Console try and “Restart All Services”

Then try above again.

Ok I got it working, I wasn’t opening it through localhost. Sorry, I’m new to servers so I didn’t really understand why it wouldn’t work. But thanks for the help!

Sponsor our Newsletter | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service