count not working as planned

[php]<?php foreach (get_terms('actor') as $cat) : ?>

<?php $args = array( 'post_type' => 'movies', 'orderby' => 'title', 'order' => 'DESC', 'tax_query' => array( array( 'taxonomy' => 'actors', 'field' => 'slug', 'terms' => array( $cat ), ), ), ); $query = new WP_Query( $args );
				$count = $query->found_posts;			

?>

<a href="?$cat->name;"><?php echo $cat->name; ?></a> <span style="color: white"><?php echo $count; ?></span>

</div>

<?php endforeach; ?>[/php]

Why is it the count process does not work?

Just trying to list all actors and the amount of movies they are associated with.

please help

I think that you will find that it should be

[php]
$count = $query->post_count;
[/php]

May I ask a question relative to this one? if the answer is yes please read on…
I have just recently added a page to my wordpress installation page-actor.php, where I intended to list all the actors that I have on my db and with the movie count associated with them. I have successfully done this but to my dismay I cannot paginate or set posts_per_page, Ideally I would want it paginated a letter as a time e.g. a, b, c…
…if answer is no discard the previous statements

You probably can but it will need significant custom coding or maybe even a plugin. The pagination codes I have seen for Wordpress just make use of paged in the query.

However have you considered just doing it with links and putting a filter on your query for just the surname letter? Probably easier.

considered yes but coding more difficult as I have no formal php or wp training.
as for plugins … way beyond me sorry

If you don’t have the skills then this is probably something that you will have to hire someone to do for you.

Doing a Google search turns up several posts on Stackexchange on how to do it and also this plugin https://wordpress.org/plugins/alphabetic-pagination/ that looks as though it is easy to use.

would you code something for me?

No sorry the idea of this group is for you to attempt it yourself and when you run into problems then ask for specific help. Use it as a learning opportunity. There are various freelance sites where you will find help for a fee if you don’t want to attempt it yourself.