Help with PHP , MySQL and WAMP

Ok , so i have this code . When i press submit , with , lets say , Bob , written in the Username box , it says "ErrorUnknown column ‘Bob’ in ‘field list’ " . I dont know what is wrong , and could use some help .Here is my PhPMyAdmin info :Apache/2.2.21 (Win64) PHP/5.3.8
MySQL client version: mysqlnd 5.0.8-dev - 20102224 - $Revision: 310735 $
PHP extension: mysqli
Server: localhost (localhost via TCP/IP)
Server version: 5.5.16-log
Protocol version: 10
User: root@localhost
MySQL charset: UTF-8 Unicode (utf8)
phpMyAdmin
Version information: 3.4.5
As you can see , i have a basic login page , and an mysql page , to introduce the data .
Yes , i am a noob … I dont really know what to do . Anyway , thank you for your time .

[code]

registrationt

Login

Username

Password

Submit <?php
if (isset($_GET['msg'])
{
   $message=$_GET['msg'] ;
   if ($message == "1")
    echo  Entry succesfully inserted! ;
}

?>
</td>
</tr>
</body> 

<?php $con = mysqli_connect ("localhost", "root", "","users") or die("Failed to connect" .mysqli_connect_error()) ; $username = mysqli_real_escape_string($con, $_POST [ 'username' ]) ; $password = mysqli_real_escape_string($con, $_POST [ 'password' ]) ; $query = "INSERT INTO login (username, password) values ($username, $password) " ; if(!mysqli_query($con, $query)) { echo "Error" .mysqli_error($con) ; } else { header("Location: registration.html?msg=1") ; } ?>

[/code]

AND , if i dont write anything , it says “ErrorYou have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ’ )’ at line 1”

Don’t use this
mysqli_real_escape_string

use real prepared statements.

I think that is the root of the issue.

If you hard code either values of empty strings “” does it still give the syntax error?

I hit a new error …
“Warning: mysqli_connect() [function.mysqli-connect]: (28000/1045): Access denied for user ‘root’@‘localhost’ (using password: YES) in C:\wamp\www\mysql_register.php on line 2”
Well , how do i give myself permissions ?

It is telling you that your password is incorrect.

Root, by definition, has access to everything. Which is why that shouldn’t be the user used in an actual web application.

Ok , so i have this .
The error is “ErrorYou have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ‘as, )’ at line 1”
I am a dumb fuck , so unfortunately , i will need guidance .

[code]<?php
$con = mysqli_connect( ‘localhost’, ‘al’, ‘al1’,‘users’ ) or die(“Failed to connect” .mysqli_connect_error()) ;
$username = mysqli_real_escape_string($con, $_POST [ ‘username’ ]) ;
$password = mysqli_real_escape_string($con, $_POST [ ‘password’ ]) ;
$query = "INSERT INTO login (username, password) values ($username, $password) " ;
if(!mysqli_query($con, $query))
{
echo “Error” .mysqli_error($con) ;
} else {
header(“Location: registration.html?msg=1”) ;
}

registration

Login

Username

Password

Submit ?>[/code]

refer to my first response. It is still valid.

What do you mean by use "real prepared statements. " ?

Could you give an example on how it should be done ?

https://phpdelusions.net/pdo

Instead of:
[php]$username = mysqli_real_escape_string($con, $_POST [ ‘username’ ]) ;
$password = mysqli_real_escape_string($con, $_POST [ ‘password’ ]) ;[/php]
have you tried (as suggested by astonicipher unless i misunderstood it ):
[php]
$username = $_POST [ ‘username’ ] ;
$password =$_POST [ ‘password’ ] ;
[/php]
(Since by using ,mysqli_real_escape_string, you adding an escape character to the string hence username & password can not be recognised. Explained here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6327679/what-does-mysql-real-escape-string-really-do)

before these values are used any further, it would be good idea to read this bit:
http://www.w3schools.com/php/php_form_validation.asp

Prepared statements - I personally have no idea, only read about that from Kevin’s link & come across on w3schools, my tutor wasn’t arsed to teach us that -hence why I want to study on this :smiley:

have you tried (as suggested by astonicipher unless i misunderstood it ):

You mis-understood. Do not create variables for nothing.

Yes, you misunderstood.

What I meant was:
[php]$conn = new mysqli(‘localhost’, ‘al’, ‘al1’,‘users’);

$query = "INSERT INTO login (username, password) values (?, ?) ";
$stmt = $conn->prepare($query);
$stmt->bind_param(“ss”, $_POST [ ‘username’ ], $_POST [‘password’]);[/php]

:-X
If I just read that code properly before posting…
Not that i understand PDO one bit - I thought the user meant to log in into db upon clicking submit when in reality it meant to do something else…

Sorry about posting misleading stuff.

Sponsor our Newsletter | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service